E-mail | Web site
Jessica is the NH.com Editor and Producer. She has a BA in Creative Writing from Chester College of NE, and a M.Ed. specializing in Adult Education from Plymouth State University. She is happily married and a proud mama of two perfect little boys and is motivated to alert New Hampshirites to the hottest goings-on in the state. Her interests include cracking the spine of a good book, writing, painting and cuddling with her babies on the sofa while some terrible reality TV hums in the background.
Pick-Your-Own Strawberry Season In NH: Sweet & Savory Recipes For Strawberries!
Monday, May 13, 2013
We are already almost half-way through May! The sun has been shining for the most part, and we even had a few days in the 80s! Our week is looking mostly sunny, with only a chance of rain toward the end! This is a perfect week to visit some local farms, and pick some ripe, juicy, ruby-red strawberries!
May is early-strawberry season in New Hampshire, and we have dozens of farms across the state growing the floss-patch fruits! Visit NH.com/PickYourOwn to find a pick-your-own farm near you, then grab your baskets and get picking!
We advise you call before going, to make sure picking times have not changes, and check on crop readiness. Some strawberry crops may not be ready until June begins.
Strawberry picking tips:
1. Find full, firm, completely red berries.
2. Smaller berries are usually the most flavorful.
Strawberries may be a more versatile fruit than most believe. Besides sweet pastry filling and topping, strawberries pair well with vegetables and even meat! Here are some strawberry-inspired recipes to get you cooking with your fresh-picked, New Hampshire strawberries! Feel free to share your strawberry recipes and picking tips in the comments section below, or on our Facebook page!
Strawberry Preserves Recipe
1 1/2 quarts ripe strawberries, hulled
4 1/2-5 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Lemon juice
1. Stir strawberries with lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 40-60 minutes.
2. Mix in Sugar.
3. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture is syrupy and thick, about 15 minutes.
4. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and proves for 10-29 minutes in boiling water, or refrigerate in air-tight container for up to 2 months!
Strawberry Cake Recipe
Boxed white cake mix (and all necessary ingredients listed on box)
1-1 1/2 Cups strawberry preserves
1 1/2 Cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 can prepared cream cheese frosting
Strawberry extract to taste
1. Prepare cake mix per box instructions.
2. Stir in Strawberry preserves and sliced strawberries.
3. Bake according to box directions, adding 3-5 minutes, until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
4. Remove cake from oven and set aside to cool.
5. Scoop canned frosting into a mixing bowl.
6. Add strawberry extract by the ½ teaspoonful to taste (be mindful of texture here!)
7. Frost cake, serve.
Balsamic Strawberries Recipe
1 tbsp butter
2 cups strawberries, hulled, halved
½ tsp ginger
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Place strawberries in a bowl.
2. Pour vinegar and sugar over strawberries.
3. Stir gently and well.
4. Cover, and let sit at room temperature for 1-4 hours.
4. Spoon over French vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe
10 ounces fresh spinach (rinsed, dried, and torn)
1 quart strawberries (rinsed, hulled, and sliced)
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
Poppy seed dressing
1. Toss spinach with strawberries
2. Sprinkle with sesame seeds
3. Drizzle with poppy seed dressing to taste.
Strawberry Sauce Recipe (For Fish, Chicken, Or Pork Topping)
1 pound fresh strawberries (rinsed & sliced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or your favorite pepper, diced)
1/4 cup equal parts water with lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup strawberry preserves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat sliced strawberries in saucepan with olive oil.
2. Stir in ginger, clove, chili powder, water and citrus juice, and preserves.
3. Simmer for 7-8 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over fish, chicken, or pork.